Sounds romantic doesn’t it?!

Let me tell you all about the Marriage Allowance.

If you were born after 6th April 1935, earn less than your husband, wife or civil partner and have an income of £11,850 or less, and you pay no income tax, you can transfer up to 10% of your personal allowance to them. This is called the Marriage Allowance.

This is up to a limit of £1,190, which can be offset against their income and could reduce their annual tax bill by £238 every tax year!  You are entitled to this provided you meet the criteria above and that your partner earns between £11,851 – £46,350 and are a basic rate taxpayer.

If one of you is a higher rate taxpayer you cannot claim this allowance.

This can be backdated by up to four years, to any tax year from April 2015 so you could be owed several hundred pounds.

Claiming this is simple, you just call HMRC on 0300 200 3300.

You will need your National Insurance number and your partner’s and you will also need a way to prove your identity. This can be one of the following:

  • the last 4 digits of the account that your child benefit, tax credits or pension is paid into
  • the last 4 digits of an account that pays you interest
  • details from your P60
  • details from any of your 3 most recent payslips
  • your passport number and expiry date

You will then get an email confirming your application.

So, if you qualify for this little known tax relief, make sure you take the time out to make a claim! Who said romance is dead?

You can read more here: Marriage Allowance

By Mandy Whitburn